Monday, November 16, 2015

Nicole Jeffrey, Artist & Goldsmith

We got to know OJC Member, Nicole Jeffrey. Who is truly an Visual Artist in addition to being a talented Goldsmith behind Amaranthine Jewellery! A deeper look into the workings of her craft. 

Q: Why did you choose jewellery?
A: I took Fine art in college and had a very good friend taking jewellery. I ended up going to the studio with her a few times and thought the process was just like making mini sculpture, and that is very cool.

Q: Where did you learn your craft? 
A: College and being a bench worker for 8 years. 

Q: If you could invite a few people (living or dead) to your studio for a day, who would you ask and why?
A: Joseph Cornell one of my favourite artists! Louise Bourgeois, my favourite sculptor, and Clarence, because I miss him!



Q: List three words that describe you as an artist.
A: Quiet, eclectic, and prolific

Q: What else inspires your work?
A: Texture, art, minimalism, animation-cartoons, colour, nature, technology, music, and line to name a few things that inspire me.

Q: How do you usually choose materials for your pieces?
A: I mainly select smaller coloured gemstones, tourmalines and sapphires. They are my favourites! As for metal, I work in recycled silver, gold and hopefully platinum soon too as my brand progresses. I guess you could say pretty much anything that I can use together, I'll try to make it work!

Q: What is your most precious tool?
A: It’s a tie between my goldsmith hammer and my rolling mill - they are fighting (when my back is turned) for my top spot!

Q: Why is the Ottawa Jewellery Collective important to you?
A: I enjoy gathering with like minded jewellers who are at all different stages of their careers. It’s great to talk to artist goldsmiths facing similar challenges, who are building their brands, and going through similar things. I really enjoy being able to share and bounce ideas around and helping others when I can!

Q: What part of Ottawa and surrounding areas do you call home?
A: My art and jewellery studio is Hull feels like home to me. 

Q: As a Canadian Designer, has Canadian culture or environment influenced your work?

A: I think every Canadian Designer is influenced by what is around him or her. I've been lucky to have sized and repaired a variety of Canadian designers’ work. I feel privileged to have the opportunity to see how those pieces have been made. I guess it’s only natural that their story would rub off on me! Having worked on very fine things and some very very rough pieces I've learned from each one. I find Canadians to be very conservative with jewellery but thankfully there is always that odd amazing person who loves big pieces and bigger coloured stones.

Q: Describe a technique you use in your work.
A: I use a variety of techniques including casting, fabrication, mokume and forging. 

Q: What do jewellery and a good party have in common?
A: My jewellery and I party well... neither are common, both are playful, and you never know who's going to show up or wear it!

Q: Is there anything else you would like to share as part of your interview?
A: With a lot of bench experience, I am now beginning to build my own line, and I am actively searching out locations to share my collection with jewellery lovers.

OJC invites you to connect with our member, Nicole at amaranthinejewellery on etsy, instagram, facebook, pinterest and her website: www.amaranthinejewellery.com.





No comments:

Post a Comment